- ANCIENT - Byzantine (5)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (456)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (46)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (328)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (40)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (160)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (30)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (14)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (26)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (76)
WORLD COINS AND MEDALS SARAWAK - ID: 6260
Submitter: Joe Lang
SARAWAK: James Brooke, 1842-1868, copper keping token, 1841, badger left, initials J.B in center, SEPT 24 1841 below / Hijri date AH1247 in Jawi script, KM-TN1.
This was the very first coin issued by the Brooke family for its private colony, and it bore this curious denominational name. It sufficed as local money until the regular coinage commenced in 1863.
Although these fakes have been on the market since the 1960’s they still continue to fool collectors, dealers, and auction houses. The fakes have a dot after the initial B.