- ANCIENT - Byzantine (6)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (395)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (46)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (330)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (40)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (43)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (160)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (30)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (14)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (26)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (76)
- ID: 188
Gordian III Pius, 238-244 A.D.
Av.: IMPGORDIANVSPIVSFELAVG Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian r.
Rv.: PIETASAVGVSTI Pietas, veiled, standing facing with both hands raised.
Ref.: RIC IV/3, pl.2,16.
BoC.: 17/2, 1992/3, p. 10.
FAKE – “The Galvano Boys”. This dangerous counterfeit is part of a “hoard” of false Gordianus Pius aurei which was offered in Munich as coming from Greece. It is the only specimen which could be recorded. The reverse could be copied from a denarius.