- ANCIENT - Byzantine (6)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (400)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (43)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (330)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (39)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (147)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (28)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (13)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (23)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (50)
- ID: 235
PERSIA. Achaemenid Kingdom.
Av.: King of Persia to r., shooting his bow, at r. shoulder, quiver.
Rv.: Square incuse.
Ref.: Traité II, 5, p.46. NC 1892, pl. 3,12.
BoC. 19/1, 1994, p. 8.
FAKE – Two specimens of this extremely rare fraction had been known before, BM ex Montagu and Berlin (ZfN 24 1904, pl.4,5) both apparently coming from a hoard on the late 19th century. The design of this counterfeit is too angular, too sharp, and the reserve is quite uncharacteristic. This may come from the same “mint” as the “Young cyrus-darics” although the counterfeit appeared on the market a few years later.