- ANCIENT - Byzantine (5)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (456)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (46)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (328)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (40)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (160)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (30)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (14)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (26)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (76)
- ID: 757
Submitter: IBSCCs Admin
AR-Tetradrachm, after 189 B. C.
Av.: Laureate head of Apollo r.
Rv.: Apollo Smintheus standing r., quiver at shoulder, holding patera, bow and arrow.
Ref.: cf. BMC 22 ff., BoC 8, 1/2, 1983, p. 18.
FAKE – The reverse is straight forward: it is the second issue of the city, a similar specimen occured in the Babylon hoard, see ZfN 38 (1928), 70. The obverse is a counterfeit die of Myrina which was published in Bulletin 5 Nr. 1/2, p. 8, 2. On the genuine coin the head of Apollo is of somewhat similar style but faces left.