- ANCIENT - Byzantine (5)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (456)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (46)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (328)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (40)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (160)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (30)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (14)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (26)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (76)
- ID: 294
Submitter: IBSCCs Admin
Antoninus Pius, 138-161 A.D.
Av.: ANTONINVSAVGPI-VSPPTRPCOSIII Laureate head of Antoninus Pius to r.
Rv.: IM-PERA-T-OR Victory standing with trophy to r.
Normal weight. c. 18 mm.
Ref.: BMC 492.
BoC.: 20/1, 1995, p. 28.
FAKE – In BoC 13/1, 1988 we published a group of aurei and Antoninus Pius, allegedly from a hoard of several hundred pieces emanating from Jordan. Another group has surfaced in England, with aurei of Augustus in equal percentage. The coins are covered in dirt and there is just one pair of dies for each emperor.