- ANCIENT - Byzantine (6)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (409)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (44)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (339)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (39)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (45)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (147)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (28)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (13)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (23)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (50)
- ID: 340
Submitter: Federico Pastrone
Leo I, 457-473.
Av.: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Leo I to r.
Rv.: Emperor in military dress standing facing, head turned to l., holding spear in l. hand, resting r. hand on shield, to l. star.
BoC: 22/1, 1997, p.21.
FAKE – This is clearly a bulgarian fake. These counterfeits coming out of Bulgaria in the early 1980s, such as the miliarensis of Valens published in BoC 9/1, 1984, p.10 or he false miliarensia of Honorius and Theodosius II such as published in BoC 10/1, 1985, p. 5-6.
After the pieces were codemned, they now appear with spots of artificial corrosion, which make them look much more convincing.