- ANCIENT - Byzantine (5)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (456)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (46)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (328)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (40)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (160)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (30)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (14)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (26)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (76)
- ID: 379
Submitter: IBSCCs Admin
ISLANDS OF CARIA. Rhodos.
Av.: Head of Heliios, facing.
Rv.: Rose, to r., bud, to l., sphinx seated to l., all within incuse square.
15,11 g. c. 25 mm.
Ref.: Bérend, SNR 51, 1972, 23 (obv.) and 26 (rev.).
BoC: 20/2, 1995/6, p. 5.
FAKE – “The Galvano Boys”. The obverse is close to Bérend 24-26 while the reverse with the sphinx symbol is close to 25-31, without copying a specific die of the published series. It is quite possible that the model of this counterfeit is an unrecorded specimen from the Marmaris hoard. Unless, of course, he copied a Christodoulous counterfeit, see Svoronos 480. – The surface is satiny and slightly pink. The obverse is very good, the reverse somewhat less so, the flower shows no indication of a stem and the incuse square is unnatural. Dangerous!