- ANCIENT - Byzantine (6)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (403)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (43)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (331)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (39)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (147)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (28)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (13)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (23)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (50)
- ID: 118
AR-Didrachm, c. 540-510 B.C..
Av.: Selinon leaf.
Rv.: Incuse square, divided into eight sections.
Between 8,6 and 9,2 g.
BoC.: 18/1, 1993, p.2. (Six pieces from the group are illustrated.)
FAKE – This illustrated piece is one type of a group of some 200 silver didrachms of Selinus which were offered in Switzerland as being half the “cream” of a large hoard which came on the market in c. 1984.
These counterfeits are struck from modern dies. The silver is whitish with a faint pink tinge. The weights are correct. Some of the coins show a deposit, half soil, half corrossion.