- ANCIENT - Byzantine (5)
- ANCIENT - Central Asian (6)
- ANCIENT - Greek (456)
- ANCIENT - Oriental Greek (46)
- ANCIENT - Roman Imperial (328)
- ANCIENT - Roman Provincial (40)
- ANCIENT - Roman Republican (44)
- Early Medieval & Islamic (5)
- EUROPEAN COINS AND MEDALS (160)
- GERMAN COINS AND MEDALS (30)
- GERMAN COINS SINCE 1871 (14)
- ORIENTAL COINS (2)
- THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE/AUSTRIAN COINS (26)
- WORLD COINS AND MEDALS (76)
- ID: 378
Submitter: IBSCCs Admin
Av.: Amphora, the shoulder decorated with parallel ribbing, under each handle, bunch of grapes.
Rv.: Quadrpartite incuse square.
16,31. c. 26 mm.
Ref.: Asyut hoard 224.
BoC: 20/2, 1995/6, p. 4.
FAKE – “The Galvano Boys”. The coin from the Asyut hoard, no. 224, was the model for this counterfeit. The new die, made from an imprint of the original, was worked over: the foot became thinner, too thin, and above all the ribbing pattern was added (which is never found combined with the bunch of grapes). The false coin has a velvety surface and both sides are slightly convex.